Monday, January 9, 2012

Addictions come in all forms

My husband and I have been discussing our addictions.  His is smoking - mine is eating.  Completely different but the same as well.  An addiction is defined as a compulsive need for and use of a habit-forming substance (as heroin, nicotine, or alcohol) characterized by tolerance and by well-defined physiological symptoms upon withdrawal.  Food can be just as addicting as smoking or alcohol or drugs.  Especially SUGAR! 


I kicked the sugar/soda habit once before about 6 yrs ago.  In doing so, I lost 50 lbs. Unfortunately, in the last year or two I have hit menopause and had some meds adjusted by my doctor, all contributing factors to a 40 lb weight gain. I am okay with the way I look but I have arthritis in my knees and hips and the more weight I gain the more I can feel it in these areas.  For this reason I decided to watch what I eat and exercise a little more to lose some weight.


My husband challenged me - when I lose 20 lbs, he will kick his smoking.  Now THIS is my type of challenge! Bring it on baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment